Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Baking Days and Mondays



This weekend just past was the Queen's Birthday weekend here in Australia. The Queen's birthday is actually in April, but we take a day in June to acknowledge it. Go figure.

The weather is rather bleak at present - grey days for the most part, rainy and cold - and as any owners of old houses will know, it is in this sort of weather that your house starts to look, well, how can I put it...crap and depressing. And so it is here. Everything is cold and damp! Things that we overlooked in the summer are now very, very obvious in the cold, grey light of a winter's day. So, while my dear husband wrestled with covering the windows in plastic insulation strips, I...baked! Well, the oven keeps things warm, right?

I found the recipe for the Bayou Buttermilk Biscuits in a great book I am reading at the moment - Motif for Murder by Laura Childs. I love a 'cosy mystery' and Laura Child's books are always good fun. And so...here's how you make Bayou Buttermilk Biscuits (great as a side with soup - I think they're a kind of American scone, really).

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons shortening (I used butter)
1 cup buttermilk

Combine all dry ingredients. Chop in butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add buttermilk and mix to form dough. Roll or pat out to a 1/2 inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut into rounds with a glass or a biscuit cutter. Bake at 400 degrees fahrenheit (200 degrees celsius) until golden. Makes between 12-18 (I got 18!)  

And this happy chappie below is 'Paddington Bear's Favourite Marmalade Cake' from Jane Brocket's Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer. Perfect with tea for toasting Her Maj.

8 comments:

Max said...

that cake looks fantastic! i seriously get into the cooking/baking in winter too, especially of the stodgy, school dinners kind!

Feronia said...

Thanks Max :) It's now more than half gone...I *love* old style, school dinners stodge!!

T. said...

Oh, those look delicious. Baking is great against the cold.

Feronia said...

Thanks Sefarina :) Yes, I think I am definitely building up my 'winter padding' with all this baking!!

Feathers said...

Oh my goodness!! what would i give to try one of those now...

Feronia said...

They *were* good, even if I say so myself :)

trishie said...

The buttermilk biscuits look so delicious. Are they crumbly too? I love to bake on rainy days too.

PS: It's giveaway time on my blog! Hope you join: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2013/06/angelorian-tradition-giveaway.html

Feronia said...

No, they weren't crumbly, Trishie :)