Friday, July 13, 2012

Real Winter


How I wanted this jumper in the winters of the early 80s, as worn by Princess Diana! 
Image from http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/

As is the case most winters, I have sinusitis. But this morning my doctor said to me, "But these are the winters we used to have - real winters." I thought this was an extremely good point. One of the things I remember most from my 1970s childhood is the very distinct seasons - long, hot summers made up of school holidays, waiting for Christmas, playing with your Christmas presents and scudding down the slip-and-slide in the backyard and long, cold winters punctuated by hot meat pies, open fires and warm homemade jumpers. So I've decided to make the most of the month and a half we have left of winter and enjoy it for the real, distinctly seasonal time it's proving to be this year!

And this ad reminds me so much of watching TV during winter in the early 80s...


6 comments:

Bodecea said...

I believe our summer ist actually not so much different from your winter...

T. said...

I agree with Bodecea. Today is about 15°C...

feronia said...

I really hope your summer isn't -4 overnight!!

Bodecea said...

www.wetter.com told me you had 9 to 14 degrees and this is not much colder than here :-). But there seem not to be up to date!

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Mummy sez she had a koala jumper in the 80s becos of Princess Diana!

I think koalas are silly beak-nosed-tree-huggers!

HEHE!

Hey ar yor Bears going to join in the Olympics?

Beanie is hosting the Synchronised Farting Event (from today) and I am posting entrys for Synchronised Sitting this Thursday!!!

Wa-hey!!

The farting will warm yu up!!!

Feronia said...

I'll give Woolley some beans for lunch, Bob, and get back to you :)

PS Don't be mean to our koalas!! :))