Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The inner pictures of the soul

The Dance of Life

Melancholy

Two Human Beings

Madonna

I bought so many souvenir postcards while we were away. I have no idea what I'll do with them all. But they are lovely to look at, nonetheless. I found the little paper bag with the Edvard Munch postcards in it yesterday, from Oslo's Munch-Museet. Often bleak but in spite of this - or because of it - rather amazing and singular in appearance and style.

"Nature is not only all that is visible to the eye... it also includes the inner pictures of the soul."
~ Edvard Munch

2 comments:

Pina said...

I find these pictures quite melancholic.
It is interesting but I don't like any pictures with people on the walls in my home or at work (it feels like they are staring at me, and I don't like that).

Feronia said...

They are rather melancholic, aren't they. But I find that somehow beautiful too. I know what you mean about 'people' paintings at home - we had a portrait of a distant relative at home when I was a child and it was quite creepy!