Friday, April 1, 2011

It's all a matter of perspective






I received a wonderful package from Beanie Mouse and Andrea last week. While travelling around together, Beanie and Andrea collect all sorts of bits and pieces - things that other people might discard - and then Beanie looks at them anew and turns them into really interesting and striking works of art - 'found art'. Check them out at - http://beaniemouse.blogspot.com/ and http://found-art.blogspot.com/ And thank you Beanie and Andrea!

---------

Helena's post over at http://sketchandcolour.blogspot.com/ has got me thinking. Do I look old? But more to the point, do I feel old? Having recently had a birthday, it is something that has been on my mind a bit. Especially when I see more and more grey hair every time I look in the mirror! In my mind, I still think of myself as being in my 20s - at the most. Especially since I feel I am still 'finding my way' with a lot of things in life. I always thought of people at the age I am now (ahem...note: actual age not disclosed) as being adults, people who have their lives together. But lately it has also occurred to me that life really is a process. You keep learning stuff. Re-adjusting your priorities. Looking at things differently. There is no one age where you stop and say 'Well, I'm done. I'm all sorted. I am complete.' For me at least I think that that process will go on and on until I am a little old lady still with some new enthusiasm or idea about something. And that, I suspect, is how you might be able to side-step 'growing old'. My mother has often said, 'You're only old if you feel old.' And I think she might be right. Providing I keep looking at life as freshly as I can muster, I might just stay young forever!

6 comments:

Pina said...

In my opinion your mother was right.
My grandmother said to me at 89: "Don't say that I am old because I am not!" :)

Bodecea said...

I think if you stop developing in live because you think you are complete, you will be (too) old (or better - death?). I am another person than I was with 25 or 15; I am more, a person which includes the old ones. And as I am still healthy, I do not care so much I do no longer look like a Teenager.

If someone would call me "nosy old bitch" I would say: "Mister, I am an nosy old WITCH and I will cast a spell that makes you smell like garlic all your live!".

Bodecea

Feronia said...

@ Pina -

Nice one! My grandma used to talk about "old people" as though they were other people - never her!

@ Bodecea -

Yes, I like it - not an ageing person but a different person, with more life experience. A shame you weren't in the park with Helena - that would have been brilliant! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm over 50 but so are many stylish people. So many women chop off and overperm their hair and wear ugly clothes just because they think they must. It's sad. You'd think the Taliban was going around saying shop at Kohls or else.

DILLY said...

Dilly be 2.
¬"

Feronia said...

@ Anonymous -

Yes, it's so true. You should dress however you wish, no matter how old you are! You still hear people say things like that "Older women shouldn't wear their hair long." etc., etc.

@ Dilly -

Wagon years be same as human years?