Monday, March 7, 2011

The Wise Old Owl

I took a photo of one of my favourite owls from my little collection the other day (below) and I was instantly reminded of a nursery rhyme that my grandma used to say to me...

The Wise Old Owl sat in an oak,
The more he saw, the less he spoke,
The less he spoke, the more he heard,
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?

After doing a little googling, I found that it was also used during World War Two (above) to discourage soldiers from divulging state secrets (along the lines of 'loose lips sink ships' and all that).

Do you remember any rhymes or stories like this from your childhood?

4 comments:

Wurst Semmel said...

I'm having trouble remembering my childhood, Feronia!!

Bodecea said...

Yeah, I know a nice rhyme we were singing while playing a game of hand-clapping in the primary school:

Johnny, komm, wir fressen eine Leiche,
Johnny, komm, wir gehn ins Leichenhaus,
eine Leiche wird schon reichen
Und schmecken tut sie auch...
Ja,ja,ja, hörst du, hörst du, hörst du wie sie klagen
ob sie, ob sie die Leiche wohl vertragen?
Ohne Messer
Ohne Gabel
Ohne Essbesteck!

Diana Kennedy said...

What a nice Rhyme - and it applies not only to soldiers. We more and more lack of people who can listen more and talk less.
@Bodeccea: Wow, You had real cool rhymes in your childhood. Wish I knew this one when I was a kid. That wold have been fun.

Feronia said...

@ Wurst Semmel

It is taking on a distant, dream-like quality for me too! Good to hear from you! How's your thesis going?

@ Bodecea

Eeeeek! You're freaking me out!! What scary little kids you were :)

@ Diana

It has a good message, doesn't it.