Wednesday, November 17, 2010

And now in Royal News...


News everywhere today that Prince William (of Britain) has become engaged to Kate Middleton. This immediately took me back to 1981 when I was agog over the news of Charles and Diana's engagement. I was 8 years old and a major fan of the British royal family. I loved Diana or 'Shy Di' as she was known in those days - she gave particular hope to a painfully shy child such as myself. Perhaps shyness could win out afterall! I wanted a Lady Di haircut, I wanted my ears pierced so I could wear little pearly earrings like hers, I wanted frilly, high-necked blouses like hers. Hey, it was 1981! These things were fashionable then...and, ok, I was a fairly dorky kid. My grandma (who had been a milliner) made me a little pillbox hat a la Diana and I did my school assignment on the British Royals...oh my.
Apparently William has given Kate his mother's engagement ring - a nice gesture, but not sure it's something I would have done given his parents' disastrous marriage. I have got over my royal obsession and I'm pretty indifferent to them now but like them or loathe them, good luck to them today I guess!
What are some embarrassing crushes and/or obsessions from your childhood?

2 comments:

T. said...

Was für ein Wirbel! Vorm Adel wird man eben nicht verschont, ob man will oder nicht.

Ich würde sagen, meine Leidenschaft als Kind waren Detektive, ich las alle (und ausschliesslich) solchen Bücher und übte stets das Anschleichen und Observieren. hat mir eine Menge böser Erkenntnisse gebracht...

Feronia said...

Wie Hercule Poirot?