Friday, September 25, 2009

Down in the Sleep-out







When I was a child, I loved to go down to my Grandma's Sleep-out. I'm not sure what they're called in other countries but here this word refers to a little shed in the backyard. Not like a garage but rather a little, free-standing, additional room. My grandmother did all of her sewing and knitting in there and all sorts of creations subsequently emerged from that tiny room, so I always saw it as a pretty magical place. Also, it was full of things. Balls of wool, reels of cotton, bundles of cloth, jars of pins, lengths of ribbon, tins of bobbins, boxes of buckles, brightly coloured yarn samples, an assortment of tape measures, old socks to be darned, shirts to be patched, jumpers-in-progress, nearly-finished doilies. Now, I would love to make it into my craft room, but for the time being it's become more of a storage room. But its day will come again! Especially while there are so many remnants of Grandma's creative endeavours still in there...

2 comments:

Stardust said...

That sounds truly magical to me. I'd like to hang out there all day long. Plus, a book shelf and a cosy armchair. =D

Feronia said...

Yes, once I get it cleaned up a bit, I would love to use it as a spot to read in too!