Monday, August 31, 2009

In the lotus position

The weekend saw me attempting to make a stamp from the weird and ever-so-slightly-creepy lotus root. I ended up with my fingers covered in paint and feeling very much as though I had returned to kindergarten, but I did make some prints which I quite like and might incorporate into a card or two and it was kinda fun!

Also, some yummy buns, which sort of morphed into giant cookies (too much dough per blob!) From one of my grandmother's cookbooks, I bring you Feronia's 2009 version of the 1936 Commonsense Cookery Book bun:

1/2 lb flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 ozs butter
2 ozs sugar
1 egg
3/4 gill milk
Pinch of salt

Combine flour, baking powder and butter. Add sugar. Beat eggs and milk together then add. Add salt. Mix into light dough. Divide up on baking tray. Bake at 200 degrees celsius for about 20 minutes. But check them regularly - they can burn quickly once they get going!

I also added nutmeg and sultanas just prior to adding the egg and the milk. For '3/4 gill milk' I added enough to mix it all into a light dough. Yes, that's right, I guessed :) I also dotted a couple of them in the middle with jam before putting them in the oven.

2 comments:

JessicaLeighLaLou said...

I want to make stamps! That sounds like a lot of fun. Plus I also really want to test out this recipe. Hope it's good! :)

Feronia said...

They were yummy - give them a go and let me know what you think!