Monday, August 24, 2009

Every Day a New Beginning


Back on deck and feeling a lot better, thanks in large part to a course of antibiotics. Thank you for your kind wishes! While taking some enforced time out, I have been dipping in and out of a lovely little book by Stephanie Dowrick called Every Day a New Beginning. A lot of what she says seems simple and yet is difficult to take on board. For example:

It is not a failure of self-encouragement to feel sad. Sadness is appropriate in many situations. Sadness can also be a useful invitation to look into a complex situation more deeply.


In this sweet-and-sour year I've been having, I've found this to be very true. As trite as it may sound, in sadness, one can also realise how much there is to be happy about. I think that sometimes we need that jolt, that plunge into the depths, to realise what is really around us. Have a Happy Monday :)

4 comments:

Mrs Mac said...

Glad you're feeling better. I am still woooozy. Not sure what this is but I'll be off to the doc's soon if it doesn't go!

Great to see nasturtiums (?) growing. I wish I were there- with summer to look forward to and days getting longer. Our evenings are getting shorter and I hate it. I have to keep pulling myself up about it and telling myself that it's still summer and not to worry.

Feronia said...

Sorry to hear you are still not feeling too good, Helena. I find wooziness comes on with me when my sinuses become infected. Well spotted on the nasturtiums! They are growing everywhere here at the moment. We are in for some wild weather today, apparently, with storms and power blackouts. So, winter is not quite done with us yet...we can keep it from you a bit longer! :)

Stardust said...

Guten tag!

Hello there, sorry for dropping in late. Am I speaking to a German here, for I notice another blog in German. This is so fascinating!

Are you not well? Hope that everything's getting better. Everyday's a new begining and I hope you'll find joy everyday. =)

Oh yes, on the cards, they're fantastic, good job!

Bodecea said...

Hi Feronia, we have nasturtiums in our garden, too.
Great you feel better!
Times to be sad have to be; does not have to become a fat big depression, but - extremely in our German autummns, some mild melancholy is so... ahhh... romantic! So... Rilke!

:-)
Bodecea