Monday, August 10, 2009

A Crafternoon






Did a fun thing on the weekend - went to a 'crafternoon' organised by a friend of mine. Perhaps you've been to one too? My friend who hosted it made lunch and then the four of us worked around her dining room table on different craft projects - two of us made cards, someone knitted, someone else embroidered. And it was really nice. I made a cake halfway through the afternoon, someone else made some cookies and so we broke for coffee and nibbles and then resumed our crafting. And I couldn't help thinking that this was something that women have probably been meeting together to do for a very long time. But probably not to the background music of Morrissey, before you think I'm overdoing the retro thing a little too much :)

I was not thrilled with the cards I made. One I gave away that night to a nephew turning two. One of my crafting buddies suggested I give the second card I made to someone I didn't like! The third one, above, I kinda like.

Also, a moody-black-and-white-Elizabeth-David-omlette-and-a-glass-of-wine shot of some eggs I took on Friday, getting into domestic goddess (!) mode for Saturday, and finally, a cheery yellow quince who is going into the pot for crumble tonight.

6 comments:

Pina said...

Well, life was really much simpler in the old days. My grandparents still live slowly while we rush, rush, rush...

I guess we should attend the "crafternoons" more often, to relax and to learn new things. I hope one day my home will host some of them. Maybe next year, who knows! :)

Bodecea said...

Ha - crafternoons I know well from my camps with women. Better - they are crafting, I am watching ...

Feronia said...

Yes, I think there is certainly something to be learnt from the (sometimes) slower pace of life in the past, Pina.

You've got to start crafting, Bodecea! It really gives you a sense of connection - with the past, with your friends and with yourself by creating rather than consuming.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

That looks like a pear. I don't think I've ever seen a quince, tho I've seen quince jam on shelves. Is it bitter?

A crarfternoon sownds like sumthing my Mummy wud absolootly luv! But she doesn't kno enywun rownd heer.

I like the idea ov crumble. I like appol an blakberry crumble, hot wiv lashins ov ice creem, all meltin all rownd it. It's luvly in the ortum.

Com an see my laytest video, btw, it's abowt chutney.

(An I think yor card waz nice. I bet the uthers wer too.)

Feronia said...

Thanks for dropping by, Bob :) No, quinces aren't bitter if you cook them. Raw ones mightn't be so good. It's a shame your Mummy and I don't live a bit closer to each other, then we could have a crafternoon.

Meg said...

I'm a big fan of crafternoons too, though I have only been to them in the evening.