Saturday, June 27, 2009

Lecker!



The Saturday afternoon winter ritual continues on...Linz Short Cakes this time or Linzer Augen (Linz Eyes) as Specialities of Austrian Cooking subtitles it. The mixture tasted good (ahem!) and the end product tasted good too...but the mixture did not hold together well and the cookies correspondingly fell apart. Weird. But I followed the recipe! Not fair! I demand a recount! Actually, I think I would follow my instincts next time (and there will be a next time - they're yummy) and add a little more moisture and also not try to make them into fiddly little Viennese-cafe-like shapes and just go for a good, solid spoonful glob of biscuit. Anyway, try them for yourself if you're so inclined and let me know how you go:

50g sugar

100g butter

150g flour

1 egg yolk

1 small packet vanilla sugar

Mix. Roll out into short crust. Bake at about 180. The recipe then calls for them to be joined - in very Austrian fashion - with apricot jam but I just left them au naturel.

4 comments:

Wurst Semmel said...

Lecker indeed! I must try this some time, although I too would pass on the apricot jam. Apricots are not my thing.

Feronia said...

I'm going to have another go at making them this evening if I can!

Pina said...

:) Yes, we bake those cookies in Slovenia, too.
My mum makes lots of apricot jam every year with lots of sugar, I think this is just a tradition. And it is lecker! :)

Feronia said...

Homemade apricot jam...mmm...:)